Consultant, Energy Access & Innovation (Sub-Saharan Africa)
Location: Remote (but require in-country presence in East or West Africa)
Start date: January 2020
Type: Part-time / Contract
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the Position
Dev-Afrique Development Advisors advise development partners and start-ups in Africa and in the process, we expand our international development portfolio, developing an extensive network of partners across the continent, and finding unique ways to solve complex challenges in the most efficient way possible. We are looking for a colleague who is passionate about energy access and energy efficiency, geospatial data, climate change, and multi-stakeholder engagements.
A successful fit for this position will be a self-starter who can multitask, collaborate, and adapt to changing client needs around energy access and efficiency across the global south (with a particular focus on Sub-Saharan Africa). It is a great position for someone who wants a flexible position but also want to build a diverse portfolio and takes ownership of their career path by pursuing their passion.
While this work will be highly variable, some of the tasks may include:
- Conducting sectoral research and development of a landscape assessment on energy data commons and energy access initiatives across Africa
- Development of gap analyses on energy access and energy efficiency in emerging markets in Africa
- Designing intervention programs at the intersection of energy and health, agriculture and infrastructure sectors in the global south.
- Building a community of practice of stakeholders in the non-profit and private sectors around energy access and efficiency in emerging markets
- Facilitating intra-organizational workshops on user experience, partnerships development, or internal processes
- Any other thing that needs to get done!
This position will be remote due to COVID-19 restrictions but will include occasional travel to countries within East and West Africa once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Preference will be given to nationals of East and West African countries and only successful candidates will be contacted.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree with 5 years of relevant work experience on energy access, energy efficiency or climate change in developing markets. Advanced degree in energy-related fields will be considered favorably.
- Experience working at the intersection of energy and health, agriculture, and infrastructure sectors is a plus.
- Technical and policy writing for diverse audiences including business and proposal development.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Proficiency in GIS software is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience of designing social impact programs and providing clear recommendations to implement changes
- Attention to detail and ability to manage an event and program logistics
- Clear and thoughtful communication
- Understanding of donor organizations, development agencies, and global initiatives such as WRI, Planetary Computer Initiative, USAID, Gates, DFID, and multilateral agencies
- Proficiency in French, Portuguese or Swahili
- Proficiency in Power BI, Tableau, Microsoft office, etc.
Our engagements are medium-term mostly ranging between 6 months to 12 months with the option of transitioning into a longer-term consultant as mutually agreed.
Interested in this position? Please apply below.